Thursday, August 07, 2008

Just a thought

I am a Malaysian. A very proud one I must say, ask John and he will tell you I am so very Malaysian in so many ways. Unfortunately (or fortunately) this very-Malaysian is dating a non-Malaysian! Not just any n0n-Malaysian but a Malaysian rival --> Singaporean! These Singaporeans are so proud of their country and so supportive of their government which makes me quite envious at times. I wish my country would practise equal opportunity and fair-go like our neighbouring country. Unless in my dreams, I don't think these thoughts would come to realisation in the real world.

Lately, I've been receiving emails regarding Malaysia as a country for all but the wrong reasons, which truly is quite embarrassing and upsetting. This morning I received yet another email along the lines of racism. This is disgusting, outraging and horrifying to know! To know that the country I love is openly practising racism and unfair dismisals in public; as if to say we don't need all you second-class citizens contributing in our country! It saddened me to think that all along I was led to believe that I was appreciated as a citizen, and when we sang the national anthem together, we were one! Clearly this is a myth, isnt't it?

I then remembered one of my friends who was torn between Malaysian and Australian PR a while ago. Because she was like me, so "patriotic" and so "proud" to be a Malaysian. She thought if she rang the department of immigration in Malaysia, they may have mercy on her patriotism and would make an exception for the idea of dual-citizenship or even just a Malaysian PR visa. She was totally disgusted by the outcome of the telephone conversation that she applied to change her citizenship on the same day! She found out that as long as you are not practising the national religion, you are not welcome in Malaysia as a visitor, let alone a citizen! I was gobsmacked when she revealed the news to me that and my jaw dropped in shock! I knew all along I'm classed as a second class citizen back home beacuse of the colour of my skin and my religion, but I never knew they were so brutally blunt about the whole issue! This made me think...is the big G trying change the country into a one-race country? Will they be able to run the country without the help of us second-class citizens? What about "semangat perpaduan"? Different races living happily under one roof?

I must say I love my country, not so much the happenings in it but in general, I love the place I grew up and the friends I made in my country which makes me proud to be a Malaysian! I could change my citizenship if I like, but I can never change where I was born and the value instilled in myself all these years. It's sad but I think when it comes to the crunch, unless my beloved country shows some greatfulness for what my ancestors had contributed to the country generations after generations, it would be a very easy decision to chuck away the red passport and have it changed to a navy blue one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Urghh , taht's why I'm tryyying hard to get meh PR.

EHhh, did you go Ekka this year ? I did :)

Anonymous said...

i know how you feel! i think that i enjoyed my time in malaysia the most when i was a kid. back then, there was no 'race' and everything was nice and happy where we think our country is peaceful and great. remember Proton was our pride?? :P little did we know we were just naive of what was really happening.. and when we grew up, we were exposed to the 'real' malaysia.. which is utterly disappointing. so.. that's only ONE of the reasons why i wanna get out of here so badly. too bad for this country if all the good people (ie 'second class citizens') leave, serve them right.

ChelleZ~* said...

Jason, no I haven't been to Ekka this year...could give it a miss too! I have quite a few things on my plate which having the day off on Wednesday could serve as a very good break. My boss has been overseas, so workload has been a bit crazy as well...I just wanna chill man...

Farah, I totally agree. I remembered back then when the colour of our skin didn't even mean a thing. We were just all playing "water and ice" on the field like a bunch of kids going silly. But as age caught up, the brains started to spark, racism started to kick in, that is when competition between races started! Sucks man! My heart cries aloud to a pretty deaf country!