Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Michelle Officially HATES HER JOB!


It has been made official, I HATE MY JOB!!

Let's take a stroll down my mundane full time job as a Senior Enrolments Officer (the glamorous title) aka All Rounder Admin Shit Taker (the real job description)...

0900 --> Arrive at work, log on to the computer and click "send and receive" on outlook (this will determine how well the rest of my day goes)...on a good day, I'd only receive 2 emails, which one is from mom (yay!) and the other from another ordinary full-of-demands client (boo!). On a bad day it could easily add up to 10 emails from dangerous-strangers!

0930 --> Clicking on "send and receive" again to hopefully receive a reply from my mom. But rest assured more emails will start pouring in at this time.

1000 --> Spend some time searching for a student's file among all the hundreds of the other students' files (yes, due to some person's incompetent capability in filing, this has become almost a daily routine for me!).

1030 --> Assess Applications (which merely means screening results of students to make sure they have met the correct requirements for entry into our programs.

1100 --> Start to warm up the printer as I start issuing offer letters for students.

1200 --> Scan all offer letters onto my computer and start sending very-polite emails to agents advising application statuses for their students.

1300 --> Boring data entry...all applications/offers have to be entered into the system so that other staff can have access to students' information.

1400 --> Most exciting 30 minutes of my day at work...LUNCH TIME!! *WooHoo*

1430 --> Hit "send and receive" again, yet again crossing my fingers that mom replies or entertains me with some happy news from home.

1500 --> Start the ball rolling again...same old shit of what I do from 1100 - 1300.

1700 --> Clocking off for home sweet home!

Mind you, in between my "normal" mundane duties I will still need to do some MORE mundane jobs like filing all because of an honorable statement from the boss, "Michelle, I would prefer that you be the one transferring all the past students files into the archive room because I don't trust that she will be able to file them in the correct order!" (WTF, again, eating someone else's shit!). I also have been given the honor to eves drop on telephone conversations, "Michelle, can you make sure you listen in on all her telephone conversations, because I don't think she's very confident on the phone!". I must also double check all the letters she generates because, "Michelle, can you please make sure all letters she created be checked before leaving the office? I cannot have more mistakes from this office floating out of this office anymore!" Gee, am I being punished for being too capable or what?!?!?!?!?

I have been so pissed that I have came up with this great temporary solution. I told my boss, "I will not talk to her anymore unless necessary because I don't want to distract her from her work which may then cause more mistakes and more clean-ups on my bahalf." My boss' reply, "That's a great idea!". I am so pissed that I cannot find the pleasure to speak to her anymore. Each time I speak to her, I wanna ask her this question, "Woman, do you ever learn?!?!?!?!??!" I know I sound nasty, wait till you work with her and let me know if you can tolerate all these punishments as a consequence of an incompetent colleague.

That is it...the final draw, I am officially pissed and this will be the end of my career in the admin world! And I bloody mean it! It is a shame because initially I quite like the routine of this job as there is not much stress involved and a super-uber nice boss, but these days there is not one day I come home without thinking how bloody unfair this really is!

On a lighter side, my ever-sweet boss cooked me tea for dinner. She baked lasagna last night and she brought me a container full for dinner. She had it packed nicely in a container with my name written on a post-it note tags on the container and then sent me an email letting me know that she had my dinner ready for me in the fridge! This sort of very kind boss only comes once in a lifetime, I reckon! She said, "I know John cooks your tea, now that he is away in NZ for work, we have to make sure you are eating healthy, Michelle!" Isn't she sweet? Yes, she is...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow your boss is SO nice! and is your incompetent colleague an asian? :P

anyway your job sounds like a regular uni admin staff job.. looks like you definitely can continue doing that here in Help if you come back.. haha

ChelleZ~* said...

No thanksssssssss!! No more admin please!! After doing it for 2 years, I've now developed fear for a mundane routine-reinforced job!! *scared*

My boss is the best in the world, just not the job, heheh!!

Anonymous said...

OMG Michelle....ur boss is super duper nice leh...jealous jealous...

ChelleZ~* said...

Hi Geri, you found *me*!!
Yeah, the boss is super nice, again the job sucks! Some say it's a fair trade-off, I'm still trying to figure that out...*thinking*