Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What is it?

Weekday birthdays:
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Throw you a party this weekend, yeah? Too much hassle to have it today seeing that it's Monday, bad traffic everywhere and moreover tomorrow we'll have to wake up early for work! So, see you this weekend!" --> But a person's birthday only happens once a year, even so can't you make that little sacrifice to celebrate it on the day itself?

Have not found the "perfect" gift (yet):
"Hey, I'm so sorry I have not found the perfect gift for you! I've looked around a few shopping malls and still can't find something fitting for you! Owe it to you first, ya...I have something in mind for you, once I get my hands on them, I'd send it to you right away!" --> Really? You have been looking? If you know jolly well that you need to get a gift for a certain occasion by a certain date, can't you take the effort to start looking and organise yourself a little earlier? Well if it is important to you, I don't see why not!

Monetary gifts:
"Here's a small red packet for you! I figured I'm lousy at getting gifts, would be much better than I gave you some cash and you can go spoil yourself." --> Lousy at getting gifts or just another excuse for being lazy? Don't you want the person to remember you by that something you went through great lengths to get him/her?

Combined celebration:
"Since it's your birthday and our anniversary this month, let's have a double celebration at one go! We'd go and have a fancy dinner end of this month to celebrate both occasions so we won't need to crack our heads to think of where to go for two separate events!" --> Hmmm, this is unfair! The person did not ask for her birthday to be two days before her anniversary, did she? Two separate occasions deserve two separate celebrations. It's definitely not a hassle, it's another reason for celebration!

How do you justify these situations? Are these genuine responses or responses for convenience's sake? Is it our lifestyle? Is it because we are trapped in the hussle and bustle of our busy-bee society, which makes us become less thoughful and more of a slacker? I have no idea, I sometimes find myself being trapped in such excuses as well. But when I think of how important that person is to me, I try to go the extra mile to make the person feel special. I know sometimes we can't help it due to our busy schedules and what not. As I am expressing my thoughts at the moment, I can't help but feel extremely guilty for all the birthdays of special people I missed especially in the last year. Things that have passed unfortunately I cannot change, however I am fortunate for today and many tomorrows. As such, I shall try to mark down those special days and make sure they don't go unnoticed! ;)

No comments: